HAVE YOU EVER accidentally bitten down on a little piece of aluminum foil? Have you experienced that quick zap of pain?
Perhaps a little piece of foil was clinging to the tortilla when you unwrapped your taco during lunch. When that foil came in contact with metal in your mouth (such as an amalgam filling, a metal crown, or braces) it created a little electrical shock!
The discomfort comes from two different types of metal interacting with each other. These dissimilar metals—with help from our saliva—create something akin to a very low powered battery. When we bite down the stored electric charge flows through the teeth to our nerves, and our brain interprets the nerve’s signal as pain.
Steer clear of sneaky foil pieces in food! If you have another useful tip for using aluminum foil, share it below!